Retiring a Project

Recently I decided to retire a photographic project.  It was a difficult decision to make.  I have worked on the project for quite some time and have invested a lot of time and effort.  But recently I have done less and less with it and consequently I haven’t been making much progress.  I couldn’t get motivated to do anything further with the project, but I knew that it wasn’t finished.  I didn’t want to force myself to try and complete it since I wouldn’t be able to put in the effort that it deserves.

In making my decision I wondered why I had grown “tired” of the project.  I remember starting on it and in particular how excited I was.  It bothered me that I now felt differently about it.  In thinking through this I realized the following.

  • When I started the project I never really set myself any goals with respect to when the project would be finished.  Consequently I didn’t have any targets.  It’s an old cliche but it is true that there is no greater motivator than having a target date by when to get something done.
  • I never really decided what it was that I wanted to say with the project
  • My thoughts and feelings regarding my photography have moved on
  • The images that I want to create today and the things that I want to say are different than when I started on this particular project.

Today, whenever I start work on a photographic project I start out with an initial project statement that generally describes what the project is going to be about.  Usually the first draft is little more than a jumbled set of ideas and some thoughts about how and by when I am going to complete the project.  I will frequently revisit the project statement to refine it and also to see if it still stands true.  Tweaking is something I do often, especially as I become more familiar with the subject.  This process not only gives me direction in my work but it also keeps the project exciting.  It is no fun retiring a project.

The images that accompany this post are from the project that I have retired.

When Polaroid announced that it was discontinuing production of PN 55 film I bought up every box that I could find and added it to my existing stock – most of which was already well out of date. Although the majority of my work uses digital processes I also enjoy working with a large format, film based system. Ironically, the Polaroid films still create finished images much quicker than a digital system.

The images that I worked on for this project used an integrated workflow that combined traditional, alternative and digital processes. I used my PN 55 negatives to create the cyanotypes on textured watercolor paper, which were then scanned before “finishing” digitally.

Who knows, one day I may revisit this project with the same passion that I had when I initially started work on it and pull it out of retirement.

1 comment

  1. A very interesting post. I like and agree with your thoughts about goals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *